2017 Results: A Snapshot
In 2017 we achieved an excellent set of outcomes that continue to reflect a consistent positive trend over the past 8 years. The results of the 2017 cohort are an indication of their own and their teachers' effort, strong working relationships and committment to growth over their time at Northcote High School.
The two highest ATARs (Australian Tertiary Admission Rank) achieved were 99.70.
48 students (18.3%) earned an ATAR of 90 or above – with 18 students achieving 95+
98 students (37.5%) earned an ATAR over 80
144 students (55.2%) earned an ATAR of 70 or above. This places them in the top 30% of results in Australia.
The number of students achieving 80+ is consistently above 35%.
Beyond the 90+ students’ excellent results the group compares well with the average performance over the last decade. Further highlights include:
- Median ATAR score: 72.7
- Mean ATAR score: 69.8
- Two (2) perfect Study Scores of 50 in Australian History and Global Politics
Based on first-round tertiary offers, here is an early snapshot of the pathways in store for our 2017 cohort.
- 95% of students who applied for a tertiary place received a first-round offer
- The large majority of these received their first or second preference
- Three scholarships were awarded to Northcote students - for Monash, LaTrobe and University of Melbourne
- The top three destinations of choice for Northcote students were:
- RMIT (28% of offers)
- LaTrobe University (20%)
- University of Melbourne (19%)
- A number of students also received offers from interstate universities including ANU, UNSW and University of Adelaide
- The top three areas of study for Northcote students were Science, the Arts (including Journalism and Communications) and Business
The courses our students are pursuing reflect the diversity of individual passions and strengths that they are encouraged to explore throughout their time at Northcote. From Patisserie to Music, Industrial Design to Biomedical Science, Law and International Relations to Agriculture and Marine Biology, Northcote alumni are represented.
How does this compare? Destinations of NHS students 2016 - Tertiary Offers
25.5% RMIT University
23.5% University of Melbourne
27% La Trobe University
6% Monash University
3% Swinburne University
4% Victoria University
2016 Course Types for NHS students
15% General Science
13% General Arts
5% Health Sciences
4% Accounting & Commerce
4% Sport/Out Ed
5% IT & Computing
5% Architecture/Building/Int Des
3% Design/ Creative Arts
3% International Studies