NHS Sustainability Program
Student Green Team
- This is a student initiated group that has been together since 2009 that meet weekly to make NHS a more sustainable school. Since 2012 the team has attended the Australian Youth Climate Coalition (AYCC) Conferences, including presenting at the Moreland conference at CERES in 2014. (http://aycc.org.au/)
- Students have previously been involved with the Mobile Muster where not only phones but small electronic items, CD/DVD’s and Batteries were recycled. An ongoing mobile muster container is located in the Library. In 2012 the main focus of the group was Repower which involved raising money to purchase solar (PV) panels. The High Resolve students joined this project and together the students raised over $ 5000 (includes a $ 1000 grant from Price Waterhouse Coopers). Fund raising included a movie night, sausage sizzles and bake sales. The school matched the funds raised by the students allowing a 5kW (20 panels) system is being installed. This included premium panels at no extra cost and an energy monitoring system from the Enviroshop. To check out how much the school has generated see the link below.
- Landcare Camp – since 2006 we have been involved in Landcare activities at or near the school camp site at Boho South. Since then we have planted over 5000 trees, shrubs & grasses. In 2014 we worked with the Regent Honeyeater Project near Benalla and the Strathbogie Tablelands Landcare Group.
- Green Week – the students have actively organised this special week for the past 5 years. This year it coincided with National Schools Enviroweek organised by Cool Australia. The Green Team helped all year 7 students plant at least one tree, shrub or grass in the school or on Merri Park. Other activities included a ride to school day with pedal powered smoothies at lunch, recycled clothing event - refashion and participating in a Monster Climate Petition. There were also activities to raise money to install more solar panels
- Yarra Valley Water – Choose TapIn 2014 the students successfully applied through this program to get a tap water cooler. This has been installed in the GCC. The program also involved the a guest speaker coming to present to all Year 8 students.
Resource Smart Program
ResourceSmart Schools is a Victorian Government initiative that helps schools benefit from embedding sustainability in everything they do. NHS is proud to be a ResourceSmart '5 Star' School.
To attain 5 Star status we completed all 5 modules and met other ongoing obligations.
The 5 modules are:
· Core (Certified)
· Biodiversity Module (Certified)
· Energy Module (Certified)
· Waste Module (Certified)
· Water Module (Certified)