Nothcote High School

Let us follow the better path


Frequently asked questions (FAQs)

Is NHS my closest high school?


Note 1: This map may not give you a clear indication of proximity to NHS if you live on the marked boundaries. Please contact the school for advice if that is the case.

Note 2: Third party and commercial providers may make claims to be in the NHS catchment area, including automated real estate sites. These may not be accurate and families are advised to check with the school before purchasing or renting a property. 


Click on image above to enlarge map

Single sex education versus co-education? What’s best for my child?

There is a wealth of research available in libraries and on the web that shows co-education is now regarded as the most desirable way to educate and socialise young people. Research done in the 1970s supporting single sex schools as good for girls but not for boys, has now been discredited. We realise this is a decision some parents make long before they even visit local schools, often for cultural reasons.


Over the last six years there has been a steadily increasing number of girls enrolling at NHS and the gender balance at Year 7 is almost equal. The gender balance has been equal at VCE level for some time due to a trend of girls enrolling at VCE level from other schools, including single sex schools.


NHS now has one of the most balanced gender ratios of inner Melbourne's co-educational government schools.




A small or large secondary school?


By Australian and international standards, a population of 1,600 students is an average-sized secondary school  and similar in size to many of our neighbouring schools, including Kew, Strathmore and University High Schools.


There is sometimes a parent perception that ‘my child will be lost’ but this is a rare experience at NHS. The curriculum structure, the pastoral care and the transition programs make the process of transition a smooth one, and help foster significant relationships and develop resilience.


One advantage of selecting NHS is that your child will be able to continually develop relationships throughout their schooling and beyond what otherwise might be a small friendship group - which can be a source of tension for some adolescents. Many parents comment that by Grade 6, their child is already showing a desire to extend their friendship circle. 



How do we apply for Year 7 enrolment for 2017?


Application for Enrolment forms, (also known as Transition forms) will be given to Grade 6 parents by your child's primary school in early April. This form is the one that must be used to apply for Year 7 entry to Northcote High School and any other government secondary school. As well as providing contact details, the form asks you to list four government secondary schools in order of preference.


Although many of our students live in the local area, the school welcomes applications from all families interested in a quality state education for their son or daughter. However, for the past 10 years the demand for places at Year 7 has outstripped places available (about 250). To manage the demand for places and manage the overall size of the school, we need to adhere to DEECD guidelines. Note: These are the same guidelines that apply to other schools with enrolment ceilings such as Brunswick SC and Princes Hill SC.

More information can be found on the enrolments page.


How do I apply on a specific curriculum grounds basis?


Families seeking admission for students on specific curriculum grounds will need to complete a Curriculum Grounds Application and submit this with the Application for Enrolment, via the Primary School or directly to NHS. ‘Curriculum grounds’ means that the application must demonstrate what specific program at Northcote High School is not available at a neighbouring school, and why this is vital for the educational needs of the student.


An example might be a child who currently studies a language and wishes to continue it, and who cannot continue the language at their local secondary school because it is not offered there. Curriculum claims must be submitted to the school at the same time as the Application for Enrolment. Late curriculum claims cannot be considered. For a Curriculum Grounds Applications to be valid, the school must receive an Application for Enrolment with Northcote High School listed as first choice of secondary school.


Curriculum Grounds Applications can be posted directly to NHS, or sent with the Transition Form via the Primary School. Copies of any supporting documents should be included with the application. Families will not be asked to submit further documents at a later stage. (Ease of travel from home to Northcote High School does not constitute a curriculum claim.)

Please do not ask Principals or teachers to write ‘general character references’ for your child. If you need to add a school opinion, a copy of the latest school report should be adequate.


How do I apply for the Advanced Curriculum Extension (ACE) program?


The select entry Advanced Curriculum Extension (ACE) Program caters for highly able students.


Families seeking admission to the ACE program need to contact the school directly to arrange the student to sit the test, which will be held on Saturday in late April or early May. Families will be advised of the result of the test, and an interview may be required. Parents and Guardians of successful students also need to complete the Application for Enrolment, via the Primary School.


An administrative fee is charged to sit for the program tests (This charge covers the cost of the tests and their marking by an external provider.  Because of the demand for this program, Northcote will not hold places and usually does not offer late places.


Why does Northcote High School have a uniform?


Northcote High School has a uniform for several reasons but mainly because our parents want one. Our parents consistently tell us that school uniforms reduce the ongoing cost of clothing students for school. 


An equally important reason is that having all students in an identifiable uniform ensures their security while at school, and outsiders are immediately identifiable.


Finally, it helps to foster a collegiate spirit and a feeling of connectedness with peers. 


NHS doesn't believe that having to wear a uniform inhibits a young person’s individuality and cannot find educational research to support this idea. Most Victorian Government secondary schools now have a uniform.


What is the school's policy on bullying and illicit drug use?


Students who feel they are victims of bullying are encouraged to report the matter and all reports are treated seriously.


Habitual bullies are counselled and may be excluded from school. Support is available for victims of bullying. To minimise the  risk of bullying, at recess and lunchtime teachers supervise all areas of the school. Bullying and good friendship practices form part of the school curriculum in pastoral care sessions.


Parents are advised  to read the advice on Cybersafety, click here to follow the link.


Illicit drug and alcohol use is prohibited at the school. The school has a staged response plan to deal with illicit drug and alcohol use, based on Department of Education guidelines. Any student engaged in selling alcohol or illicit drugs would face police investigation and be expelled. Counselling is available for other students affected by antisocial behaviour.